Tuesday, November 19, 2013

This whole issue of racism is just exhausting......

Everyone wants to claim they're not, and accuse the other "genetic pool" of being so, when in fact, if we would
all dig deep and honestly admit it, there exists that nasty little temptation to be a racist....however, it's whether we give into the temptation to act on it or not that makes the difference.    I grew up most of my years in Mississippi.  Racism was alive and well during those years, but quiet honestly it's worse today from my perspective.  The man who occupies the White House has made sure to fan those flames....sadly, dividing our country with deeper wounds that will take how many more years to heal......if ever.  That being said, I remember
watching the protests, the riots, hearing the words spoken, but felt like an observer rather than a participant.  At the same time, I was amazed at the courage of so many to finally say, "ENOUGH"...we are all created equal.  My parents never talked about other people in terms of the color of their skin........they talked about the content of their character, and the things they did in the world.

I was part of a culture where it was "understood" that there were two groups of people.......the "whites" and the "non-white".  When I was in elementary school we lived in a tiny town called McComb, Mississippi, and a Lebanese family moved to town.  I do remember hearing my mother talk about this family in a way that made me more curious about them than anything. As it turned out, they had a daughter my age, who was in my class (we had itty bitty classes back then), and although we weren't close friends, I remember her being very sweet....admired her exotic beauty.....and marveled at how smart she was.  I don't remember the color of her skin......I remember her being unique.  It wasn't until years later that I realized, a Lebanese family moving into a tiny little town in the Deep South was definitely a novelty for the long-time residents, and maybe even a little unsettling to some.

Oprah recently made the comment in an interview, that all us "old" white people who grew up being racist (how she knows every white person over a certain age is a racist baffles me) just need to die so racism can go away........and yet, if you look at the history of mankind, it has always existed no matter what, and because human beings seem to have a need to elevate themselves in one way or another above others, I seriously doubt racism will cease to exist -- even if everyone Oprah says is a racist dies today.   In my world making comments like Oprah, only serve to fan the flames higher and hotter.......and to what end?  It's certainly not going to make people feel differently. 


 
 What ever happened to judging people by the content of their character.......
by what they put into the world.........by the words they spoke to others.........why must it always be the color of someones skin that is the precursor to qualifying how we feel about another person?  I can tell you this.....I went to high school where the Caucasian girls were about as mean as they come.  They made life hell for anyone that wasn't part of their group......so what are you when Caucasians don't like Caucasians?  Oh wait....the politically correct term these days is "bullying"....that's for another blog perhaps....


When I was little my grandmother had a cleaning lady who was African-American.  When I would go to visit my grandmother, the woman was obviously not thrilled, because I'm sure I made more work for her being a little girl.  She would never smile or talk to me......I just remember a very stern face with that look that said, "if you mess this room up you're in big trouble"........and so, I steered clear of her.  I knew I wasn't welcome without a word spoken.  I used the picture here to illustrate a point....it doesn't what matter what color your skin is........when you look at someone like this (and that's pretty much how I remember this lady looking at me!) it scares the bageebers out other people--especially a little kid!

In high school I had a part time job at a pizza restaurant.  All the cooks were black, or African-American (I'm never sure what's politically correct any more, so I apologize if I offended any of you!).  The lead cook was this wonderful
woman named Betty.  I remember her because of her smile, and how sweet she was to virtually everyone.  She had that beautiful Southern drawl, and could just make you feel like you were the most special person in the world when you entered that restaurant.  She was a joy to work with.  I knew when I headed for work, no matter what had gone on during my day, when I got there, Betty would give me a hug, her big smile, and have me laughing in no time.  I looked forward to going because of her.....it was the content of her character that made my menial job a joy.....it was the content of her character that made everyone around her love her.  And, after nearly 50 years, I've not forgotten her name or smile. I'm sure life wasn't easy, because I know working in a place like that probably paid very little, but Betty never let on that life was anything but grand.


Why did I share these two stories?  Both women were black......both women my elders.......both in positions of authority over me, and I never once questioned who they were because of the color of their skin........it was how they treated me that made the world different.  If Betty were still alive today, it would be an honor to have someone like her for a friend.  If the other lady was still alive, I think I'd still be afraid to walk in the room where she was for fear of getting one of those "looks".  It never dawned on me that I should act or treat them differently because we weren't all the same skin tone.......I reacted to "WHO" they were in the world.

The human race has a long history of unwarranted acts of cruelty and terrorism towards one another.  I don't understand it........and I don't want to.  I've just grown weary of politicians, the wealthy elite, Hollywood, the media......or whomever........keeping the flames of racism alive.  When will people start to be honest, and quit pointing their fingers at everyone else, and stop doing what makes this an never ending debate -- that no side will ever win.  When will people grow up, and admit, that we have each been created uniquely by God, with a very special purpose here on earth, and that it is not the color of our skin that makes us better or worse than someone else?  When?


No comments:

Post a Comment